Finding a new home and beginning the process of moving is exciting but can sometimes cause unnecessary stress. To make the process a little less stressful, our experts at Metro Self Storage want to help by providing you with top moving tips to use along the way.
From creating a moving checklist and purchasing the right packing materials to organizing your belongings and creating a plan for moving large furniture, we have all the information you need for a successful move. We also offer high-quality storage units so you can better organize your belongings and have space for excess furniture during this time of major transition.
Take a look at our storage locations to find a facility near you and reserve your storage unit online today.
Create a Moving Checklist
To speed up the process, it’s helpful to create a checklist with items regarding the actual move as well as items that need to be accomplished for your new home. This checklist will also help you remain calm during high-stress situations and will ensure that nothing is forgotten.
Items to include on this checklist are:
- Set up and cancel utilities. Not only will you need to make sure all the utilities at your current place are being shut off, but you also need to set up your electricity, water, trash, Internet, and other utilities at your new home.
- Hire movers. One of the most important tasks is making sure you have proper transportation for your move. Whether you are hiring professional movers, renting a truck, or gathering friends to help, you need to plan accordingly. At Metro Self Storage, we have truck rentals available at several locations to help you move items into your unit.
- Purchase mover’s insurance. Even if you are only moving across town, it’s still wise to purchase mover’s insurance to cover all your belongings in case damage does occur. Most moving companies have options available, so check with the company you are using to see what they offer.
- Fill out a Change of Address form. Make sure you don’t miss a single piece of mail by filling out a USPS Change of Address form.
Purchase Proper Moving Materials
Another important step in your move-in process is making sure you have purchased the right packing and moving materials prior to the big day. As you begin packing up your belongings, make sure you have:
- Boxes in various sizes
- Packing tape
- Bubble wrap
- Packing peanuts
- Furniture covers
- Carts and dollies
- Grip pads for furniture
If you arrive at your storage unit and realize you forgot to pack something, Metro Self Storage has you covered. We have a wide selection of packing and moving supplies available for purchase in our main offices.
Organize Your Belongings
Creating a solid organization system for each of your items is key in moving the process along. It can be as simple as writing “keep” or “store” on your boxes or as in-depth as creating an entire spreadsheet of your belongings. Either way, make sure you know exactly where each of your items will go once you arrive at your new home.
Have a Plan For Transporting Large Furniture
While moving boxes and other small furniture items is pretty self-explanatory, large furniture items are a completely different story. Make sure you have multiple people around to help so no one injures themselves during the move. This will also be helpful for items that may be awkwardly shaped and won’t fit through certain entryways.
Another tip is to take furniture apart as much as you can. Take the legs off of tables, remove cushions and pillows from couches, and disassemble your bed frame. Moving a bunch of smaller items is much easier than one large item. Finally, plan out which furniture you want to load first so you aren’t unloading large items from the moving truck several times.
Store Excess Items in a Storage Unit
Whether you are downsizing, redecorating, or lacking in storage space, a storage unit can help you create the right amount of space for all your excess belongings. Storage units provide you with easy access if you ever need your items again and they are available in a wide range of sizes to ensure you always have the right amount of space.
You can also utilize several key features when you rent self storage during a move, including:
- Climate-controlled storage
- Drive-up access
- Vehicle storage
- Month-to-month leasing
- Online payment options
Tips for using a moving company for your upcoming move:
- Get a binding estimate from the moving company. Make sure the amount is written in the contract.
- Inquire about their on-time record and other complaints with the local Better Business Bureau or consumer complaints department.
- Movers are limited by law regarding what they can give you for lost or damaged goods. To cover potential damage, check your existing homeowner’s or renter’s policy.
- Ask about expected gratuities and write them into the contract.
- Have the contract include a guarantee of how many hours the job will take, allowing an overrun of no more than 10%.
- Be sure all charges are listed on the contract.
- Inform the moving company of how many stairs are at your new home.
- Watch loading and unloading and examine all items carefully before signing a receipt.
- Document an inventory of your belongings before you pack.
- And finally, remember to rent your storage unit from Metro Self Storage to accommodate any of your local storage needs.
Rent or Reserve Self Storage With Metro Self Storage Today!
Make your next move a breeze with the help of spacious and affordable self storage from Metro Self Storage. We are here to help you find all the additional space you need for furniture, decorations, seasonal items, appliances, and so much more. Find self storage near you from Metro Self Storage today.