How to Stay Energized During Your Move
April 18, 2023 | Moving
Moving is one of the most stressful life events that a person experiences. Planning and organizing a move is physically and mentally demanding. Moreover, our responsibilities to work, children, family, and pets continue to require our attention and energy. And when the moving day finally arrives … It’s like a marathon.
Information about planning and organizing a move is readily available and for most people, packing is the longest part of moving. Therefore, learning strategies to stay energized throughout the process is equally important—good sleep, healthy food choices, exercise, and drinking enough water daily all work together to keep you healthy and strong.
The following tips are ways you can stay energized during your move to help you accomplish more and maintain a positive attitude during a stressful life transition.
Why is Moving so Exhausting?
Moving to a new home requires planning a timeline that spans your initial decision to move to the day you move into your new home. The process also involves a lot of physical labor, like packing all your belongings into boxes, loading them onto a truck, and then unloading them at your new home. And if you have many heavy items, such as mattresses, furniture, and appliances, it can be even more taxing.
Moving also causes decision fatigue: Should I use paper or bubble wrap for this item? What type of box should I pack this in? Do I really need a wardrobe box? Is this worth packing, or should I donate it?
Moreover, moving is emotionally draining for many people because it often involves leaving behind familiar surroundings, close friends and neighbors, and familiar routines. This is especially true if you’re moving with children.
How to Stay Energized During Your Move
As we mentioned, moving is like a marathon, and even if you’re not a professional athlete, you can still maximize your energy by fueling your body the right way. So when it comes to diet, it’s never too early to start making healthy lifestyle choices.
For example, everyone from doctors, dieticians, food influencers, and athletes recommend the right balance of macronutrients. Here are some essential tips to stay energized leading up to and on moving day:
- Get sleep: Getting a good night’s sleep is essential for maintaining your physical and mental health. Therefore, it is important to prioritize getting enough quality sleep so you feel energized during your move.
- Good food: Eat a nutritious breakfast daily with plenty of protein and complex carbohydrates. Protein sources include eggs, Greek yogurt, and nut butter, while complex carbohydrates are found in whole-grain bread or oatmeal. Healthy fats include olive oil, avocado, nuts, or seeds and high fiber is found in fruits and vegetables.
- Drink water: Staying hydrated is essential for maintaining energy. Being well-hydrated can help improve physical performance, cognitive function, and mood, which will help you with every aspect of your move.
- Rock out: During packing sessions and moving days, listen to your favorite upbeat music (your pets will appreciate it too!) and podcasts to make the chore of moving more fun and less stressful.
- Take a break: Whether or not you have an exercise routine, daily brisk walks outside to get some fresh air will clear your mind, lift your mood, and boost your energy.
- Stay nourished: Pack healthy snacks such as fruit, nuts, or protein bars to keep your energy levels up on moving day .
Of course it’s a tradition to have pizza on moving day but avoid the carb slump that follows by drinking enough water and having healthy high-energy snacks on hand. If you’re moving during winter, a thermos of hot tea or coffee will boost your energy and sense of well-being. If it’s a hot, humid summer day, be sure to have some electrolyte drink tablets to plop into your and your helpers’ water bottles.
You won’t regret making your health a priority when planning and organizing your next move, which can be a six to seven week process so don’t be afraid to ask for help. Keep in mind that hiring professional movers to help with all or part of your move will take many physical demands off your plate. Even so, you’ll still be packing boxes and directing people where to put things in your new home.
As we said earlier, moving day is very much like a marathon! Understanding all the ways you can stay energized throughout the moving process will make it less stressful and allow you to put more attention on your new home and neighborhood.
Do You Need Storage For Your Next Move?
Utilizing secure and convenient storage during a move can help alleviate the stress involved with a big life transition. Whether you need to stage your home, store family heirlooms, or simply want more time to decide what items will work with your new home’s decor, temporary storage can help.
Metro offers clean and secure storage solutions to meet your individual needs. Our state-of-the-art storage facilities offer all the features and amenities you’ll need to feel confident in your choice to store with us.
Our customers enjoy 24-security systems, storage-to-office communications, well-lit spaces, fenced perimeters, climate-controlled units, drive-thru bays, professionally trained storage teams, and much more. If you’re ready to rent your storage unit online and take advantage of all these benefits, you can learn more and reserve or rent online now.